- Tiered cakes came from a game where the bride and groom tried to kiss over an even higher cake without knocking it over.
- One of the largest wedding cakes ever made in the US was built for a casino. It stood 17 feet tall and weighed 15,032 pounds.
- Queen Elizabeth II had 12 wedding cakes. The one she cut at her wedding was 9 feet tall and weighed 500 pounds.
- The brides cake is traditionally covered in white icing to symbolize purity.
- Royal icing got it's name after Queen Victoria, who was the first to ever have a pure white icing on her wedding cake.
- The most expensive wedding cake ever created cost $30 million dollars. This cake was created by Buddy Valastro of the Cake Boss. A NY Socialite had a wedding theme of diamonds and the cake was covered in millions of dollars worth of diamonds and jewels.
- The tallest cake was 25.65 feet tall. The cake was made of sponge cake and glued together by caramel. Unfortunately, the cake fell not long after completion.
- The bride's cake was originally a pie. And the grooms cake was a fruitcake, which symbolized fertility.
- A US tradition, single bridesmaids should take home a slice of cake and place it under their pillow. In doing so they will dream of their future husbands.
Every now and then it's fun to take a step back from all the planning and preparing from your wedding! I've gathered a few unique and random facts on wedding cakes that you probably didn't know!
Kayla grew up in the wedding industry and has grown to love all things wedding. Please enjoy reading her thoughts and experiences as she continues to walk in family tradition.