- The cake stand should be at least 2 inches larger than the base of the cake, including the bottom board. If your stand has a lip, measure from the inside of the lip.
- The cake stand should be completely flat. If it dips at all, the pressure from the cake could cause it to crack or fall.
- The cake stand should be able to support weight. Put pressure on your stand to make sure it won't bend if you were to put a tiered cake on top.
- If your cake stand has legs, make sure they are level. If they are not, the stand will rock or tilt...and so will your cake.
- When not purchasing your cake stand from a wedding professional, it's a good idea to show your stand to your cake baker in advance. He or she can notify you of any potential problems.
Brides often ask me how to display their wedding cake to make it the focal point of their reception. After all, this edible work of art needs to be elevated and decorated in a way to make it stand out!
Silver Plateau: This is certainly the most classic and elegant look! A timeless piece that has been used to dress up wedding cakes for generations! The silver plateau gives your cake a little extra height, making it stand tall atop your table. Plateaus can often be rented through your cake baker or linen/rental company for a deposit and small fee. Interested in purchasing your own? Antique shops are the best place to go, but be prepared to fork over some cash.
Tree Trunks: This has become popular over the past few years! Tree trunk bases are used by brides with a more woodsy or country wedding theme. They give a rustic charm to any wedding cake design, which often compliments the beauty of the wedding cake with the natural elements of the wedding. Tree trunk bases can be purchased online, and is recommended. If a bride is creating one herself, make sure it is completely flat, not concave or convex, as that can cause the cake to buckle and fall.
Mirrors: While they do not add anymore height to a cake, mirrors create a romantic element to your wedding cake. Easy to decorate with candles, rose petals, beads, and other adornments; mirrors reflect light and add a bit of mysticism to your cake! Mirrors are also easy to find and inexpensive to purchase. They can also be used in other ways and decorated for your future events. And they compliment any theme!
Customized cake stand: Many of today's bride are finding ways to customize their wedding through DIY projects. Cake stands have been one way of personalizing their wedding. I have seen some creative designs - the bling stand (photographed to the right), decorated hat boxes, custom built wooden stands painted to compliment the color scheme of the wedding, glass boxes with lights or wedding flowers, and the list goes on! This option certainly creates a one of a kind cake for a one of a kind bride!
Before we let you go, here are a few helpful tips to consider when choosing your cake stand:
Kayla grew up in the wedding industry and has grown to love all things wedding. Please enjoy reading her thoughts and experiences as she continues to walk in family tradition.