Here are a few ways you can still have a beautiful cake without breaking the bank:
- Choose one flavor - Most bakers charge a fee for changing flavors in your cake. Part of it is a labor charge as it takes more time to make multiple flavors. And part of it is a waste charge. Some recipes cannot be cut down in size, so if you are ordering different flavors for smaller tiers we may have to throw out the extra unused batter.
- Stick to the basics - There are some really yummy elaborate flavors out there. The ones with nuts or alcohol always bring the wow factor to any wedding. But they come with a cost. Increased cost in ingredients will increase the cost of the cake. Stay away from alcohol flavored cakes or cakes with fresh fruit or nuts. Stick to vanillas and chocolate based cakes. Your guests will still love them and you won't be paying a premium price for that premium flavor.
- Order for your guest count - I know the 5 tier grand cake is beautiful. But, if you have 150 people at your wedding, you don't need a cake that serves 250. It's just a waste of money. What about fake tiers? Still a waste. You will pay a nice chunk of change for those fake tiers that you will just throw away at the end of the night.
- Buttercream is best - in everything! It's the best tasting icing out there! It's also the cheapest! Choose buttercream cakes over fondant and your wallet with thank you.
- Ditch the sugar flowers - I think fresh flowers are much more beautiful anyway. Sugar flowers are expensive to make, and time consuming. So, you will be paying for that. Ask your florist how much it will cost to provide a few fresh flowers for the cake. Guaranteed, it won't be nearly as much as you think. The fresh flowers still give your cake that finished look and provide a little color to your dessert.